We are here to provide you with guidance on how to update your QuickBooks desktop to the latest release with the help of QuickBooks support. With technology improving our lives on a daily basis, we design the software according to your needs and to meet the budding requirements. QuickBooks regularly gets updated with new features, our aim is to make your life simple and give you more time to be productive. To avail the new features, you need to update the QuickBooks software. Our support team will help you with updating the software to its latest version.
QuickBooks desktop can be updated automatically or manually. You can turn on auto-update where the software will update itself automatically irrespective of the fact if the software is running or not. It will automatically get updated to the latest release. But if you wish to update the software manually then you can do so by turning off the auto-update but you will have to update the software at least once a month to avail new features and benefits.
Let us see how QuickBooks support explains how to update the software (both ways)
You don’t have to worry about the compatibility of the data file because it only requires a small change in the database. The data file will be compatible with the previous release. The changes required are minor to update to the latest release as it is different from upgrading to a new product version.
Check for the latest desktop patch
- Open QuickBooks and press F2 key (ctrl 1).
- Go to the product information window and check the current version and release.
- Check for the latest release available for QuickBooks
(a) QuickBooks 2019
(b) QuickBooks 2018
© QuickBooks 2017
(d) QuickBooks 2016
To update QuickBooks manually you have 3 options
Option 1: using internet to update to the latest release
- Go to the downloads and updates page
- Go to select product drop-down and select your QuickBooks product.
- From the select version drop down choose the appropriate version or the year.
- Click on search
- Select the latest updates and click on the save file option to start the download.
- After downloading the update, click on the file to follow the steps to install that update.
You may have to re-start your computer once you have downloaded the update.
If you wish to install the update across your network like to connected computers then you can do that by:
- use the same install file from another computer which you downloaded on this computer.
- Copy the installed file to a flash drive and then copy it to the desktop of another computer.
Option 2: Using pre-installed QuickBooks desktop to update to the latest release
- Go to the file menu and select close company/ log off. (you will have to perform this step for multiple company files if they are open in QuickBooks.)
- From the file menu click exit.
- Now open QuickBooks as the administrator.
- Select the help menu and click on update QuickBooks. Make sure you are on NO company open screen.
- Select mark all and save from the options tab.
- Mark the reset update box from the update now tab.
- Now click on get updates button.
- Once the update is completed close QuickBooks.
- Open QuickBooks again and click yes on the prompt asking to install updates.
- Upon completion of installation restart your computer.
Download the latest version of payroll tax table if you have an active payroll subscription in order to process payroll in QuickBooks.
Option 3: using critical fixes (ULIP)
Ultra-light patch (ULIP) delivers minor critical fixes without the need for an actual release patch. It is a feature of QuickBooks. The patch release process will continue as it is (R releases such as 2017 R5). Follow the steps given in option 2 to apply critical fixes. You have to select the critical fixes before you perform the update procedure.
For automatic update there are 2 options available:
Option 1: download and install automatically now
- Click on help menu and click on update QuickBooks
- Click on update now tab from the update QuickBooks window. Ignore the table that says no other changes are required.
- Check the reset update box to erase all previous update downloads. This may increase the update time.
- Select get updates.
- Once updated open QuickBooks to follow the procedure of installing the update.
Option 2: download and install automatically later
- Click on menu and select update QuickBooks.
- On the QuickBooks update window select the options tab.
- Click on yes to turn on automatic updates for QuickBooks.
- You can also automatically share downloads on your network computers (optional).
- Close QuickBooks. The latest release will be downloaded and updated when available.
Contact QuickBooks customer support for more information about updating the QuickBooks software. Contact QuickBooks customer support @ +1-888-476-8944.